Green is Good for Business
Sonoco is committed to creating sustainable products, services and programs for our customers, employees and communities that support our corporate purpose of Better Packaging. Better Life. The Company ranked first in the Packaging sector on Fortune’s World’s Most Admired Companies for 2019. The Company was also named one of Barron’s Top 100 Most Sustainable Companies in the U.S.
Sonoco is proud of our sustainable past and present and will continue our commitments while helping our customers achieve their sustainability goals.
How We Reduce Our Environmental Impact in Australia/New Zealand
- All board used in Australia/New Zealand (ANZ) is FSC approved. Coreboard used is 100% recycled, 95% post-consumer.
- Rigid paper cans are 55% recycled content, 44% post-consumer.
- Cores are 94% recycled content, 90% post-consumer.
- LED lighting has been implemented in the majority of facilities, and solar installed in some, reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
- 75% of waste generated in our ANZ facilities is recycled.
Our Sustainability Commitments
2025 Sustainable Packaging Targets
- We will increase the equivalent, by weight, the amount we recycle or cause to be recycled from 65%-85% relative to the volume of product we put into the global marketplace.
- We will ensure that approximately 75% of our global rigid plastic packaging is capable of making the relevant on-package recyclable claim.
- We are committed to increasing the use of post-consumer recycled resins in our plastic packaging from 19%-25%.
2020 Environmental Sustainability Targets
- We will reduce normalized global energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions by 5% through 2020.
- We will reduce normalized water usage by 5% through 2020.